“My son, do not despise the LORD’s discipline, and do not resent his rebuke, because the LORD disciplines those he loves, as a father the son he delights in.” Proverbs 3:11-12
Two days before Christmas, I went to a cute little shop and a saw a purple dream catcher. It stopped me in my tracks. It reminded me of the purple dream catcher I had made in elementary school. It was a class project and everyone made one, and I brought it home proud of the beautiful thing I had created.
Fast forward to me being a grown-up, now living as an immature daughter in Christ, I looked at the dream catcher and felt the push to buy it. I had remembered the warning of witchcraft and false idols, but I wasn’t sure if this “counted.”
I had a strong push toward the purchase as I carried it around the store and reasoned Holy Spirit was leading me to buying it.
Cue laughing and face palms from those “in the know.” 🤦♀️
I remember having dreams when I was teeny tiny, but for the vast majority of my life, I never dreamed. When I was baptized in the Holy Spirit, I started dreaming. Every. Night.
It was the coolest thing and I felt so blessed! God was sending me dreams! I was special enough to communicate to! I loved the dreams!
When I brought the dream catcher into my home, it worked as advertised. I didn’t have any bad dreams. But I also didn’t have any good dreams. I haven’t had a single dream since I got the darn thing!
So I took the matter to my fathering leader. His response: Burn it. You’re a dreamer.
When you come home, a dog will wiggle uncontrollably with joy. When I was called a dreamer, I felt like I was home, wiggling with joy. What a blessing to have an identity as a person God sends dreams to 🙌
“The graven images of their gods you are to burn with fire; you shall not covet the silver or the gold that is on them, nor take it for yourselves, or you will be snared by it, for it is an abomination to the LORD your God.”
So I took the dream catcher outside. Lit it on fire. I felt ridiculous standing outside my apartment in broad daylight, burning something most people would consider harmless. But I was convinced.
I packaged up the remains and disposed of them away from the house.
I INSTANTLY FELT BETTER. My spirit relaxed and calmed and the anxious feeling I’d been having disappeared. Peace was restored.
That night….I had my first dream in weeks. 🙌🙌
I say all this to make a few points….things I learned through this.
1. God hates witchcraft and false idols. Why? They hurt his children! It’s not just that they take away His glory, but they hurt us!
2. Things you may think are innocent may not be. Since I’m still a baby in my faith, I’m okay blaming my ignorance. But ignorance isn’t a place I want to stay. Moving from ignorance to inception (Dr. Joshua Todd concept) is an important process of maturing in the season of invitation. But it isn’t limited to that stage. As humans we aren’t perfect and life is a constant cycle of repenting and growing in both knowledge and wisdom.
3. Yea, God hates witchcraft and false idols, but how happy is He when you learn the Truth, repent, and move closer to living the lifestyle He intends for His children?! Don’t get stuck in guilt and regret. Accept the correction and move forward.
4. You may think Holy Spirit is leading you somewhere, but it might just be soulish desires pushing you. Learning to hear from Holy Spirit is a HUGE step in maturing. But almost more important is the next step which is learning to differentiate our voice from the voice of Holy Spirit.
I HEARD WRONG.
I can try to deny it. I can try to rewrite history. I can pretend like it didn’t happen.
I can work to learn better discernment so I don’t continue to make the same mistakes.
5. “Learn to love correction.” It’s a tough pill to swallow. Why would we want to love someone telling us we are wrong. That hurts! We feel rejected! How could we possibly love that?
Think of the cost of not being corrected.
I had the dream catcher for less than a month. But God uses dreams as a strong form of communication in our specific relationship.
How many dreams did I miss out on? What did he want to tell me that I didn’t hear because that stupid dream catcher was stealing dreams from me?
It was less than a month, but I missed dreams on Christmas. I missed dreams on New Years in our transition to the Roaring 20s. I missed dreams as I was going through intense healing.
I’ve been anxious and on edge spiritually since I got the thing, and how much more healing, more rest, more peace, more forgiveness could I have received if the dream catcher wasn’t in my life.
WE LEARN TO LOVE CORRECTION SO WE CAN AVOID THE COST OF DISOBEDIENCE.
How much hurt have I had because of disobedience to God, and how much more suffering would I have to bear if I didn’t receive and implement that correction from my fathering leader.
God doesn’t want to control us. Our fathering leaders don’t want to control us. They want to lead us to the right path, because when we live a God-approved lifestyle, we avoid unnecessary pain and suffering and heartbreak.
We cast out the bad and welcome in the good!
So turn to Scripture and turn to fathering leaders for guidance to cleanse your life of the things keeping you from receiving the fullness of a Spirit-led, God centered lifestyle.